Keeping a real Christmas tree looking fresh and health is a battle from day one. With needles needing cleaned up on a regular basis they can be the bane of many home owners festive season. This isn’t always the case as a Christmas tree which is kept properly won’t be such a problem. Here are a few tips and tricks to keep your Christmas tree healthy until January.
- Make sure you buy a healthy tree. A healthy tree will last longer and drop fewer needles making it easier to look after. You can test how healthy a tree is by running your finger up a branch. If the needles don’t drop off, you’re onto a winner.
- Just before you bring your tree into the house, chop around 1 inch off the bottom of the trunk. This will allow the capillaries in tree to be opened so it can take up water more efficiently.
- Try not to put your tree near a radiator once inside the house. The heat from your radiator can dry out the tree causing premature needle loss.
- Use a special stand to allow the tree to be placed in plain water only. This will help it live longer like a bunch of flowers in a vase.
- Remember to keep it topped up with water from day to day. Add some sugar to the water as this can help keep your tree looking great.
By following these simple tips you can help your tree stay healthy and reduce the amount of vacuuming you will have to do as well.