Last night the roads across the North East of England were brought to a standstill after snow fell throughout the day.
It is being reported that many people in Consett for instance were stuck in traffic for up to five hours getting home on North East roads from Newcastle, Gateshead, Chester Le Street, Durham, and other parts of the North East of England.
Freezing conditions overnight have made conditions on the roads and on footpaths dangerous this morning. All major routes seem to be OK at present.
Train networks all seem to be running fine, and road users are taking to the roads with expected caution.
Getting to and From Newcastle Airport
Overnight snow clearing on the runways has been taking place so there should be little to no disruption to flights today. The best advice being given is for travelers to take caution to and from the airport on our roads. Leaving some extra time to get to the airport is advisable.
At this moment in time, there are currently no delays, cancellations or diversions in place in the region.
Get all the latest departures and arrivals from Newcastle Airport here.
Road problems and closures
Council gritters have been out overnight to treat all major roads, but black ice and frozen slush will undoubtedly lead to tricky conditions and delays for many.
Northumbria Police have said this morning that no road closures are in place.
- Ice is making for dangerous conditions on the northbound A1 Western Bypass in Birtley. Drivers using that stretch of road can expect a longer than usual commute.
- Both directions of the A1 Western Bypass at Gosforth Park are affected by ice. Conditions there are hazardous.
- The southbound A1 between the A69 and Kingston Park has been described as “just an ice rink” this morning.
- An accident on the eastbound A69 in Newcastle between the B6528 Hawthorn Terrace and the A1 is closing one lane. The A69 between Hexham and Newcastle is clear, although drivers need to be aware of patchy ice.
- The B1318 Great North Road is clear, but frozen slush and patchy ice may catch drivers out. Expect delays there as the rush hour builds.
- The westbound A1231 Sunderland Highway at Washington is affected by ice. Traffic there is queueing between the A1(M) and A182.
Metro and rail services
- The Metro services are all currently running fine.
- Mainline and regional train services are not facing problems at this moment in time.
Go North East services are running as normal, this is however subject to delays.
Some services experiencing difficulty this morning:
- Services 8, 28 and 28A are not travelling to Twizell and Highenhold because of extra icy roads.
- The 97/98/98A is not going to Park and is being diverted through Fellside Road.
- The 97 and 69 are not travelling to North View Road and Milton Road – the service is being diverted via Whickham Bank.
- The number 24 is not going to Hartlow Green Estate, Waverley Road. It is diverted via Harlow Green Bank.
- The X25 is not serving Portsmeads and is operating along Portobellow Road.
North East Snow
Snow is not affecting our roads too much this morning, however throughout the day there is expected snow across the North East. The Met Office has put yellow snow warnings in place for Thursday. North East snow is all too often forgotten about on National news, so national news reports are hard to go by.
Newcastle School Closures
- Atkinson Road Primary School, Benwell
- Stocksfield Avenue Primart School, Stocksfield