Etching of Crook Hall French Revolution

It was the winter of 1934 and the residence of  Crookhall decided it was time to make a stand.

For more than 50 years the village had been booming and now could boast a population of more than 1000 residents. Unfortunately they were totally isolated having no road access whatsoever. They were literally “off the map” and had been known as County Durham’s “Lost Village” throughout that entire time.

The village was owned by Consett Iron Company, it had no bus or car access, no shops, Post Office, Pub or even local policeman. The children had to walk 2 miles back and forward to school every day and many of the older residents had not left the village in years due to the distance they had to travel to any amenity.

As with all such villages however, they had become a very strong knit community and everyone looked out for one another.  In mid 1934 they began to plan their course of action and it was decided that they would make a last ditch effort to finally; once and for all; get the road that they deserved. The entire populous began to lobby first their local Council, then their MP and eventually the Minister for Transport and the Prime Minister himself.

By December 1934 and with mounting pressure from all sides it was brought up and discussed at a Conference of local Authorities. The efforts of the community had worked. It was decided that a road should be build as soon as practically possible to connect Crookhall to the main town of Consett. The community rejoiced at the news. It took 6 months but in mid 1935 Crookhall could no longer make the claim of being the Lost Village and was added to the road map.

Ironically my Grandfather Wilfred was born in Crookhall in 1927, next door to his grandparents, John Thomas & Dorothy Wharton. Due to the lack of facilities his parents left in the area the year prior to the action in 1933 to take up residence in the new houses at The Grove.





Get CONSETT MAGAZINE straight to your inbox.

* indicates required