Ask the vet

Antifreeze can be toxic to both dogs and cats although we tend to see far more cases in cats as they find it easier to access areas where antifreeze is kept.

The toxic ingredient is ethylene glycol which tastes sweet so is very appealing to wandering pets.

Understandably, we see the vast majority of cases in the winter months. The most common signs of antifreeze ingestion are lethargy, vomiting, muscle twitches or tremors, ataxia or incoordination and seizures. Within 12-24 hours, acute kidney failure can occur which will often be fatal if not treated extremely promptly as the changes in the kidneys become irreversible.

If you suspect your pet may have ingested antifreeze, we recommend you contact your vet as soon as possible so they have the best chance of recovery.

Client Advice





Get CONSETT MAGAZINE straight to your inbox.

* indicates required

NO COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY