After ten attempts over the last few months, Richard has also managed to secure a debate in the House of Commons on Tuesday 8th February to raise the matter.
Richard backed Councillors Michelle Watson and Angela Sterling for Delves Lane Ward in the campaign against the incinerator in the run up to the 2021 local elections and has held regular meetings with them since. In local planning decisions, Richard, as the local Member of Parliament, does not have any formal role, however he can support our local Councillors and their decision and raise the concerns of local people at a national level.
Since their election, Michelle and Angela have worked with other councillors across our towns and villages and, last year, our Durham County Councillors rejected the proposed incinerator plan. However, it now appears that the developer is considering an appeal against this decision.
Richard surveyed local residents to ascertain the views of his North West Durham constituents ahead of his debate in Parliament to ensure that he can communicate on behalf of as many of his constituents as possible in Parliament this week.
One Consett resident said:
“The planning committee made their views clear, as did the people of Consett and this decision needs to be respected.”
Another Consett resident said:
“[The Consett incinerator] has no place in our town and we do not want it here.”
Richard Holden MP:
“And so, today I am calling on the developer to withdraw their appeal, and instead respect the decisions of the democratically elected councillors and my constituents. Alongside my North West Durham constituencies, we fully back the Reuse, Reduce and Recycle policy positions.
“We all want to see as little as possible in our landfills or sent for incineration.”
Richard looks forward to tonight’s debate as an opportunity to represent the impassioned views of his Consett residents – and to make sure no means no.