Standard specification of motorhomes varies widely, some are very comprehensively equipped, while others may need enhancements.
Fitting new accessories to an older vehicle can be expensive and we have to judge what is worthwhile depending on our intended usage. Here, I’m going to share the top 5 fitted accessories that many buyers like to see, helping to improve their enjoyment and make the vehicle more desirable when they want to sell:
1) Awning sun canopy – a wind-out sun canopy offers almost instant shade and fits neatly to the side, or on the roof of a motorhome. It requires virtually no maintenance and additional annexes or panels can be added to it, giving much more undercover enclosed space. Almost a no-brainer for most buyers.
2) Bike rack – a 2, 3, or 4 bike rack means you can enjoy taking exercise whilst discovering the places you visit more intimately, without having to decamp and drive a short distance to the shops or places of interest. Its a great family activity too and many sites actively promote the enjoyment of cycling with information about local routes, many of them including traffic free paths.
3) Solar panel – a fitted solar panel charges the leisure battery, some can be switched to charge the engine battery as well. They are a boon if you like to camp more freely without electric hookup, and over the winter can trickle in enough charge to keep the battery from going completely flat and failing.
4) Refillable LPG bottles – these are becoming very popular for domestic gas supply, especially for motorhomers travelling abroad, as they negate the need to change bottle brands and regulators as you travel through various countries. Pumped LPG gas is a fraction of the cost of bottled gas too, so over time the installation will pay for itself.
5) Tracking system – these are very affordable now and essentially there are two types – a passive tracker which will reveal its location when a signal is sent to it (eg if a vehicle is reported stolen), or a proactive tracker which sends an alert to the subscribers mobile phone it an unauthorised vehicle movement is detected. Many owners have an alarm as well, although a proactive tracker is ideal when the motorhome is in storage at a remote location.