A 19th century drinking fountain that was removed from a County Durham village more than 60 years ago is set to return – in replica form.
The Pant fountain was erected at the junction of Front Street and Snows Green Road in Shotley Bridge in 1886, marking the arrival of piped water into the village.
It was removed more than 60 years ago as part of a village road scheme, eventually turning up at Beamish Museum where it can still be viewed.
The Pant has now returned to Shotley Bridge – albeit not the original – as the culmination of a series of improvements to the village.
North East firm Classic Masonry Ltd was commissioned to produce a stone likeness of the original, which now has pride of place in the village.